Resource Library

Brenda Colburn Jemmott, CPA, Stockholder and Oakland Office Head
Brenda Colburn JemmottCPA / Partner / Oakland Office Head/ Co-Managing Director of Taxview bio

People who Don’t File Income Taxes can still receive an Economic Impact Payment


As part of the COVID-19 economic relief package, the Federal government will be sending payments to all US Citizens and Resident Aliens who have gross adjusted income under certain limits. Commonly in the media the payment is talked about as being $1,200 per taxpayer and $500 for each dependent. (The program details  are discussed in RINA’s COVID-19 FAQ.)

To determine if you’re eligible for a payment, the government will use the income information you submitted on your 2019 tax return, or on your 2018 return if you haven’t yet filed your 2019 taxes. The IRS will automatically send money – by direct deposit, if you’ve given them your bank information in past – otherwise by check to the last address you gave them. Taxpayers do not have to take any action to receive this money. 

If you don’t file taxes but do collect Social Security, SSDI, survivor benefits, or railroad retirement, you also will automatically receive your payment.

However, some people qualify for a payment, but they did not have to file income taxes in either 2018 or 2019 and they do not receive the other benefits. Typical legitimate non-filers include older people with low income who worked for state and local government agencies that did not participate in the Social Security system.

Today the IRS posted instructions on how to give it the information it needs to send quailed non-filers payment. If you, or any of your family members, have not had to file taxes in 2018 or 2019 and do not receive the other benefits listed above, you need to fill out a simple form to receive your payment.

You’ll be asked to provide:

  • Full name, current mailing address and an email address
  • Date of birth and valid Social Security number
  • Bank account number, type and routing number, if you have one
  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) you received from the IRS earlier this year, if you have one
  • Driver’s license or state-issued ID, if you have one
  • For each qualifying child: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to you or your spouse

Gather that information, and go to the IRS web page for non-filers. You can read more of the program details and eligibility qualifications. 

Look for the big button labeled “Non-filers: Enter Payment Info Here” and click it.

Fill out the information requested and submit the form. The IRS website tells you more about the process, but if there is no problem, you’ll be in line for the payment. 

Contact RINA

Join Our Mailing List