History

RINA’s practice was founded in 1946 by Leo Helzel, an Oakland attorney and CPA, in a small office near 14th and Broadway. To augment his income from Leo B. Helzel & Company, he taught intermediate accounting at Golden Gate College. He hired Bob Nolt who was his best student at the time, and soon after, hired Paul Ida. Both Bob and Paul became attorneys by attending law school at night. Henry Rooney and Jack Ahern joined the firm in the early 1950’s. In 1957, Leo decided he wanted to concentrate on law full time and left the firm as a partner, but remained as a client. He still maintains a relationship with RINA today. Bob Nolt and Paul Ida teamed up with Henry Rooney and Jack Ahern to become Rooney, Ida, Nolt and Ahern. In 2001, the name was shortened to RINA accountancy corporation.

Our founders’ belief in continuing education is demonstrated in our dedication to training and personal development. We take great pride in our heritage and share the passion of our founders for outstanding client service. In 2007, RINA started the RINA Scholarship Fund at Golden Gate University and Leo Helzel was an initial contributor.

From its modest beginnings, RINA has grown to become one of the largest public accounting and consulting firms in Northern California and has repeatedly ranked as one of the “Top Accounting Firms in the Greater Bay Area” in the San Francisco Business Times.